A great fishing trip isn't just about the fishing.
What makes a fishing trip at Talaheim Lodge so desirable, and different from other fishing trips, is our family atmosphere.
“I think I can speak for our whole group when I say you made us feel like family. We came to go fishing, and left as part of the family." ~ Guest Kevin Nelson, 2010
One short ad placed in Field & Stream in 1974 produced Talaheim’s first guest, Henry K. Miller, and over the course of 35 years, Henry and his family returned to Talaheim eight times.
But Henry wasn't the only one who returned. In 2012, half of our bookings were repeat clientele. Bill Knodell and his two sons from Colorado made Talaheim their summer fishing destination for ten years. George Gougeon, above, who now brings his grandson along to do the heavy salmon lifting, made the trip from France to Alaska every summer for eight years.
Fishermen who used to bring their dads, now bring their sons – that’s three generations of fishermen!
Our secret? It's not just Alaska's incredible fishing that continues to draw our guests back year after year, choosing Talaheim as the destination of choice when celebrating anniversaries, birthdays, and reunions. It's because we treat our guests like family, sharing with them our home, or wealth of expertise, and yes, even our sense of humor.
Warning: Sense of Humor Required When Reading Further
When a past guest informed Mark that he'd like to return to Talaheim but needed to convince his wife, Mark responded with the below.
So you want to bring your wife fishing? Here's a few tips to help convince her that a fishing trip in Alaska is a romantic home run.
- Alaska’s chilly nights lead to cuddling
- Bear sightings bring couples closer together
- Fireside chats with frosty mugs of Alaskan Ale lead to deep conversation
- You think your wife looks sexy when wearing waders
- Long days of fishing generally lead to back rubs
- There’s lots of one-on-one time when there’s no one else in an 80 mile radius
- Rubbing Deet on the back of your wife’s neck can lead to intimacy (as long as you don’t touch anything else)
- Fly fishing tends to make you look like Brad Pitt in A River Runs Through It
- “Honey, you caught a big one!” takes on a whole new meaning
- We serve romantic meals on top of a mountain with a glacier view. Now come on, that’s legitimately romantic!
Be sure to check with your doctor first to see if you two are healthy enough to experience our Alaskan aphrodisiac, and if so, I’ll be sure to chill the champagne. ~ Happy Fishing, Mark
Adventure is nothing without a few laughs and a family to share it with. And at Talaheim Lodge, we're proud to say that we've made a business out of good laughs and great fishing. We look forward to welcoming you to our family.